Friday, January 14, 2011

Glorious Grapefruit!

We planted this little tree in our back yard 5 years ago, with high hopes of having a few years of grapefruit. Unfortunately, we were wrong. No fruit for 4 years.
Fortunately, our fruits have finally come in!!
(and surprisingly we STILL live here to enjoy them)
Aren't they lovely? Lucky for me my in-laws have a huge tree and always supply us with plenty of grapefruit for the winter months. I have eaten at least one a day since we got home from the Christmas break.
Here is a comparison, the ruby red baby is from our tree:
Ahh, all done, I really do eat them 2 at a time....why not?

I must mention that these grapefruit would have never been without Quinn's tireless devotion to fertilizing, flooding, digging about, pruning and general fussing over our little citrus trees. Yet, we will never experience the oranges...if they ever come.

3 comments:

Dawnell said...

Awesome! I love grapefruit. How fun to finally see the fruits of your labors! (way cheesy, but I couldn't resist). Have you really lived there for 5 years?!

Jessica said...

We finally got lemons on our tree this year and had to move before they were fully ripe! :( I guess it usually takes any fruit trees at least 3-5 years to get fruit.

Lindsay said...

That makes me so jealous. I learned that our grapefruit tree finally exploded with fruit the first winter we were gone. Our tenants are enjoying those and our pomegranates. It really does take about 5 years for them to start bearing fruit I guess. Enjoy them while you've got them.