Sunday, November 8, 2009

Picacho Peak

This mountain is pretty gnarly lookin' huh? We drive past this peak every time we go to or from Mesa so I guess we've seen it like 200 times now and always thought, "It would be cool to hike that someday." Lucky for us we have some awesome friends who were inspired by our Grand Canyon story and talking about fun hikes turned into actually planning one for the next Saturday, no time to loose!

It is a crazy trail!
The cool think about this mountain is that the trail actually goes to the tippy top. Since there isn't any place to put a normal trail they just put cables all over the place and you go straight up. We loved it...no boring switch backs here!

The view from the top is really cool. Picacho just sticks up in the middle of a huge flat area between mountains so it is amazing how far you can see!


Thanks to Cristy and Joel for making us do it. It was quite a big deal for us to get our first paid babysitter for our kids! We actually trusted a teenage boy with our children for 5 hours! I was so scared. It all worked out and we had a great time.



The bad thing is that doing all this fun stuff only makes us want to do more fun stuff. Anyone for the Superstition Mtns next weekend? ha ha

6 comments:

Jamie said...

you are awesome! Way to go with all the hiking!

Pierce and Stacy said...

amazing. I would never..... hike that. Let a babysitter watch my kids- HECK YES! I totally believe in weekly dates hands down! I'm glad y'all were able to get out and have some fun.

Emily Conkey said...

I always wanted to hike Picacho when we lived in Tucson and we never did. It looks like you had an awesome time. I can't believe how crazy that trail is!

Dawnell said...

1. How fun! Reminds me of "climbing" Mt Olympus with David. It's like a really REALLY steep hike, and coming down was harder than coming up. It took my big toenail over a year to grow back.
2. First paid babysitter??!! Wow, way to be brave!
3. Come to Oman! You can fly cheap through the AF, right? You can stay with us for free!

Lindsay said...

You're on a roll. Good for you guys. How fun you went with Cristi and Joel too? My toe is about recovered and I'm in for some more hiking. I may need new boots though.

Cristy Symkoviak Ertel said...

I can't believe we made your blog...I feel so special!