Friday, November 6, 2009

The Grand Canyon!

I never really thought I would do it but I hiked the Grand Canyon!The hike we did was down a steep trail, along a plateau for about 6 miles and then up another crazy steep trail for a total of about 14 miles. It was amazing! Here we are at the top with Lindsay Melen, thanks for inviting us to come!
And one on the way out. The funny part is that when we were scouting out the hike the night before we saw some people coming up the trail and they went through a tunnel at the very top. So, the next day after we had been hiking straight up for 3 hours we came upon this tunnel, halileuja! We made it!...or so we thought. It turns out there are 2 tunnels, the tunnel at the top was another 45 minues up, sad! The stats:
15 degrees when we started
3500ft elevation loss/gain
1 MRE (per person)
64 oz of Gatorade
4 potty stops (those are a big deal in the wild)
14 miles
8 hours total hiking time

Now that is a serious hike in my book!
I love Quinn for doing this with me and sticking with me the whole way. We were glad we had him along other wise we would have missed most of the scenery due converstion, thanks Quinn!

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

It is amazing we did it. We're thinking Havasupai in April. Let me know.

Melissa Coleman said...

That's awesome that you did that hike! Wish we could go with you. Can't wait to see you at Christmas!

Kelli said...

You guys rock! I hope we can do this hike with you someday. It looks like you had a great time. And I love your halloween costumes! They turned out awesome.

Dawnell said...

I am so impressed! But not surprised... you are so adventurous. Way to go! I like that you posted the stats, because I wondered what it was like! Funny, I just got finished posting "Grand canyon of Oman" pictures. No hiking involved for me, though.