Thursday, June 11, 2009

Backseat Driver!

I'm sitting at a red light and I hear from behind: "Go Mommy! Go, Go!"

"I can't go Jack it is a red light, see?"

The light turns green and instantly: "Go, Go, Green light mommy go!" Of course it doesn't matter to him that there are 20 cars in front of me that need to get going before I can. "Go, Go GO!" This happens at like every light.

And this is just a sampling! I also get the "Go Mommy!!" when waiting to turn left, slowing for traffic, going around corners, looking for an address etc. If we aren't going at least 45 MPH it just isn't fast enough for him! "Go! Mommy, FAster!"

I don't even want to start on the "Go this way mommy, no.. this way, THIS WAY!!" when I don't turn the direction he fancies, how he asks me where we are going about 15 times for every little trip and reminds me if I make any type of deviation.

I end up doing a lot of explaining about waiting for turn arrows, right of way, speed limits, cops etc. What's it going to be like when he is 15? I'm concerned.

7 comments:

Lo said...

It's like your car talks to you . . . "Good morning Doug" "Fasten your seat belt Doug" - do you remember Doug?
Just make sure you drive focused - no absentmindedly following the little voice behind you and realizing . . . fifteen minutes later . . . you are in the wrong city.
(Sounds crazy but after 2 pregnancies . . . anything is possible)

Pierce and Stacy said...

haha That was a good post! I'm so looking forward to him driving! Maybe he'll be a nascar driver or something like that where he can go fast always!

Kelli said...

Luke is the same way! It must be a boy thing because Min is completely happy and trusting of me and my driving, but Luke seems to think he knows how to drive better than I do and can't stop navigating from the back. I feel like when I'm driving that I'm constantly having to explain why I'm doing what I'm doing and why I'm going where I'm going instead of the way he wants me to go. I'm glad to hear he's not the only one. Gotta love little boys :)

Unknown said...

LOL. My girls are the same way. Adeladie used to be a ton- she has since calmed down if that gives you any hope. The great thing about them paying such great attention is that they can get lost people home again (such as the grandparents they are with) and those other drives never get away with anything- you know all!

Lindsay said...

Grant does the same thing and tells me we need to go to other places he sees along the way like Home Depot, Target and McDonald's.

mylittlegems said...

ha ha ha - we have the same problem at our house. I love it when he says, "slow down you are going too fast!" :)

Anonymous said...

Sandra, your blog is sooo cute! I'm sorry about the sudden deployment, I couldn't believe it when Melissa told me, and then you got the flu too, ugh. But I'm glad that you have such a great family to spend time with here in Utah! I hope I get to see you and finally meet your cute boys this week while Melissa, Isaac and Sam are in town.