Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Day


I am on a Mother's Day vacation.  It started last night, oh around 7 pm.  I have been catching up on my favorite shows, reading tons of blogs, relaxing and pretty much enjoying myself in a clean, quiet, calm environment.  What is this vacation you may ask?  Father and Sons Campout!!

The actual campout was cancelled because the site was underwater?  (we've been having alot of rain this week but 'flooded'? I can't imagine)  Since Quinn is a super dad he didn't let the boys down and took them on a campout anyway.  What a great father.

I put Tessa down to bed last night and have been enjoying myself ever since.  I quickly cleaned the house and have been luxuriating in the orderliness ever since!  I stayed up way too late watching TV and surfing the net.  The best part was having plenty of time to complete a project in calm and quiet.  So lovely.  I am reminded of my early mothering days with only my little Jack at home.  I thought it was a little silly how people with kids always complained about trying to keep their house clean and remember thinking my sisters carseats looked atrocious!  Couldn't she clean them at least once a month? was that too much to ask?  Well, 2 kids later: my van/carseats are dirty as can be, I have a tough time keeping my house looking nice and I laugh at my stuffy mother-of-one-baby self.  

Here is my bookshelf/cabinet project!  Of course I just spent 20 min looking though the last 6 months of pics to find my 'before' pic but alas, it is not to be found!  Imagine dark wood with fuzzy beige carpet looking stuff behind.  And here is the after!

 I grabbed a few things from around the house to style it real quick.  At least I have a 'before' pic of the lamp now...it is a work in progress.


When I ripped the fuzzy carpeting off the back I found gold wallpaper underneath so I scraped that off too, washed and scraped off the glue and then applied my fabric for the background.  I love how it looks!  I also love that Quinn just walked in and said, "Wow, it looks really good.  I will be honest, I didn't think it was going to be that great."  He never has the vision!!  I get so excited when he likes a project after he doubted me. 

Here's my darling little vacation buddy.  She is such a calm, sweet child. 
I kind of forgot how babies get into everything, it will be awhile before this is "styled" on a permanent basis!
I have been thinking a lot about mothering this past week, what with mothers day upon us.  I am so thankful to have these beautiful children to love, nurture and watch in amazement.  I love a quote by Nie from her interview on the Today show.  When asked about her life before the crash she said, "it wasn't perfect but it was ideal for me.  I had the life I had always planned for and dreamed of."  I feel much the same way about my life.  It is my ideal. I have the gospel of Christ.  I have a loving husband who is amazing enough to provide for our family, allowing me to fulfill my dream to be a stay-at-home-mom.  My children are sweet little spirits with healthy bodies.  I am fit and able to be active.  Some of the details: job, town etc. are not perfect but I am really living my ideal and I couldn't be happier.  I am a blessed little Mommy. Happy Mothers day to you!!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

congrats on a little down time! I love how it turned out! It looks better than I thought it would too!

Tracy Anderson said...

Hey San, It's been a while since I checked your blog. I love the book shelf! It has so much character! The shape of it is really cool and I love the colors and fabric you used. Tessa is super cute too. Love you!
Tracy

Tracy Anderson said...

I commented on your last several blog posts too...all of them were great!