Friday, October 15, 2010

A Date

I went on a real date with my awesome husband wednesday night. We did just about our two favorite things, mountain biking and eating. We weren't able to start until almost 5:30 so it was a race against the darkness. It was a bit hot when we got going but as soon as the sun went down it was perfect. The air was soft and warm and we caught glimpses of the amazing desert sunset at every turn. I wish the picture did it justice.
I love dates! I wish we were those people who did them every week. Quinn is so nice and fun to be with, especially when he isn't playing daddy and I love just being myself and having a break from my mommy side. Quinn opened doors, carried all the water, stopped to give me drinks, loaded/unloaded my bike and warned me of the sand traps and cactus. What a gentleman:)



Also, I got up early this morning to bike by myself before Quinn left on his Man Hike (more details and pics to come, hopefully) This little friend jumped up from the desert floor and wanted to hitch a ride!
I was seriously crusing along at a good clip when my tire flipped this cactus up and into my leg. I stopped as quickly as possible and gingerly unclipped my foot from the pedal. I was so glad I thought to grab my phone and snap a pic before the delicate (or not so) extracting procedure. I tell ya, the desert is beautiful but extremely sharp, thorny, rocky, hot and unforgiving!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Ouch! I hope the cactus extraction went well and it didn't leave behind any stragglers.

Hooray for dates! It is nice to remember who you are and leave mom and dad home for a few hours and just be married. Glad you guys find time for it!

Tracy Anderson said...

Wow, that cactus looked painful!!! Sounds like you both had alot of fun together. I love dates too!

Heidi said...

we have done the mtn bike/lunch date before and are planning on some trail run and soup dates in the future. I had forgotten how much fun they were- and we will only get to do fun stuff like this together if we have a sitter (envious of my older friends with kids that are baby sitting age!) I love these dates as much if not more than the traditional dates of dinner and a movie..ok- a lot more than dinner and a movie!

nora.lakehurst said...

That looks painful. OUCH!